Thursday, March 5, 2009

Shopping Report

Okay everyone, I put the last post to the test! This morning I got on the Grocery Smarts website and figured out what I was going to buy, printed my grocery list and got all of my coupons ready to go. When I got to the register I watched as the total went a ton higher than I usually spend and then handed over my savings card (aka fresh values), and my stack of coupons. The total dropped, and dropped, and dropped. My total before all of the savings, was about $130. After all the discounts came off, it was $75. I saved $55!!! I don't like to spend $75 on groceries but, I came home with up to two weeks worth of dinners. Usually I come home only $10-15 less than that and hardly anything to cook with.
Here's a list of some of the things I got:
10 lb. bag of potatoes
2 loaves bread
4 frozen pizzas
2 pks Instant Oatmeal
Sour Cream
Cottage Cheese
Ice Cream
Baby Food
Poptarts
2 pks Frozen Chicken
2 bags Meatballs w/free pasta
etc...
I'm very proud of what I did on my first try and can't wait to try to beat that! It was so easy and only took me 20 minutes this morning to figure out what I needed and get out the door. I know that as I get a better system, that time could be cut down. I'll keep you all posted!

6 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like it's working out for you! That's great. ( : I still find that even with coupons many things are cheaper in generic brands or in bulk like at the Macey's case-lot sale going on right now. We have a store here called Honeyville grain where you can buy bulk food. I can get 50 lbs. of quick cooking oatmeal for 20 bucks! It's a lot easier for me than a bunch of little boxes- though it is plain and I have to add in my own sprinkle of brown sugar and maybe some home canned fruit.
One great deal is to look for a coupon for Johnson's baby wash, etc. It's for 1.00 off and you can get a little Johnson's "buddies" bar of soap that has grippy stuff on the outside so it doesn't slip out of the kids hands. At Smith's the bar of soap is only .99, so it's free with the coupon!

Jenny said...

I love getting good deals!!! It is totally worth all the work when you can save that much money.

Unknown said...

That's awesome!! Good job!!!

Lauri said...

Great job! I've been doing the same kind of thing. Its kind of like a game to see how much you can save! Its fun. Plus I;ve been able to start a liitle food storage which I've been wanting to do forever! Killed 2 birds with one stone! Maybe we should do a class with that lady and learn how to save even more!

Unknown said...

This is totally bomb! I am going to a class like this tomorrow night. I cannot wait! I'll let you know how it goes so we can dish! So great to get to know you better tonight. :)

Holly said...

This is kind of a belated comment, but it was just on my brain and I thought I'd share. When I first got into being really frugal and saving on groceries several months ago I tried using coupons a bunch. But, I realized it can be easy to get carried away with them and go buying things because I had a coupon and it seemed like a good deal. Later I would realize I could have gotten an item cheaper in a generic brand or at another source, or I'd realize that I'd really only bought something because I had a coupon and normally I wouldn't have bought that item at all! In this book I have called the Tightwad Gazette the lady says, "Remember, it's what you spend, not what you save that's important." I know I get all excited about seeing how much I "saved" at the bottom of my receipt, but it's more important to make sure that what I'm spending is really for items at their best price. Good luck with all this!